The choices here are ones I have seen, read, heard, or otherwise experienced.
Bill’s Best of 2002
- Family: Once again, it goes to someone close to me: Vivian, my very sweet one. Although Nancy, Jim, and the girls made a good effort.
- Movie: Out of 82 written up here this year: New – The Bourne Identity, which I thought was an awesome, intelligent thriller. My Big Fat Greek Wedding was a close second and Star Trek Nemesis warmed my cockles. Classic – Local Hero is one of my all time favorites, though The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert was the best ‘new’ classic I saw. Worst film: No doubt, K-19 Widowmaker was the biggest waste of lifespan in 2002, even though Harrison Ford and Liam Neeson are such good actors; I blame director Katherine Bigelow and writer Chris Kyle for a lifeless piece of dreck.
- Music: Bruce Springsteen’s first studio release in 18 years with the E Street Band, The Rising. An awesome tribute to what America has gone through, emotionally, in the last 15 months without forgetting that life is something to celebrate, always.
- TV: This was a really tough choice for me. I decided to limit myself to shows that first aired in 2k2 and have not been cancelled. So it’s a three-way tie: Monk, The Shield, and Boomtown. This year was all about catching the bad guys.
- Trip: That would be December in New Jersey with Vivian and the family, no doubt.
- Photo: Real simple:
- Sports: World Cup! Though I would have rather been working, being out meant I could watch about as much of it as I could stand, and the strong American run was really exciting–the Brasileiros were awesome in taking a fifth trophy.
- Dinner: First Anniversary with The Sweet One at Chez TJ, though dinner at Fresco with my parents and sister was a pretty close second (as pictured in the photo).
- Art exhibit: The Cantor Center at Stanford, especially the Rodin sculptures. The Menorah at the Metropolitan Museum was great too.
- Food product: Atkins Advantage Bars, especially the chocolate mocha crunch flavor, for making my diet very successful so far (32 pounds in just under 4 months), closely followed by Atkins Blueberry Muffin Mix
- Consumer product: Gillete Mach 3 Turbo razor, which I just picked up two weeks ago, is a vast improvement over the Gillette Atra Plus I’ve been using for more than ten years. I haven’t cut myself yet using it!